Skip to main content

ai bin gulijap krai

"Ai bin gulijap krai" means 'I nearly cried'.

Here at Ngukurr, middle aged and older people all have stories about being banned from speaking Language at school. I don't hear the stories that often, but I know they're there. I don't push them because I worry they might be painful or make people feel no good.

But in the press release I sent around a few weeks ago, we approached the issue. Here's what I wrote (it was published in the Koori Mail):

Once banned, Elders now teach children language

"Older generations of Aboriginal people in the southern Arnhem Land community of Ngukurr were banned from speaking their traditional languages at school when they were children. Decades later, a dedicated group of the same people are putting their languages - now endangered - back into the classroom and teaching new generations.

Now in its second year in its current form, the language program at Ngukurr Community Education Centre incorportates five langauges - Marra, Ngandi, Ritharrngu/Waagilak, Rembarrnga and Nunggubuyu. Each of the 200 or so students learns one of their traditional languages through weekly classes run by teams of Elders and language teachers.

"It was hard when I was young because white people wouldn't let us speak our language in the class," says Ngukurr Langauge Centre chairman John Joshua. "We had to speak at home with our parents. Now we're lucky, we have a language centre and we hope to keep going while our Elders are alive, speaking their languages strongly. Kids are really enjoying our classes, especially the younger ones."

Through the language program, students at Ngukurr CEC not only learn their traditional languages but also strenghten their cultural identities. They gain valuable opportunities to learn from Elders and their languages are given a better chance of being passed on for future generations.

The current program was developed and implemented in 2005 without any funding from the Education Department, instead being supported entirely by Diwurruwurru-Jaru Aboriginal Corporation (Katherine Regional Aboriginal Language Centre) and its annexe at Ngukurr.

From the dedication shown by community members involved in the program, the local school was able to source funding to pay the language teachers."

---

And so today I cut out the article and stuck it up at the Language Centre. My anggul E, who's about 50 or 55, read it and said to me, "That's true."

He told me that one time, his teacher heard him speaking his language, Ngandi. His teacher took him into the store room, got a stick and belted him 15 times. After that, his teacher made him write lines. He had to write 50 times, "I must not speak Language at school." He reckons he was about 8 or 10 years old at the time and he remembers the name of that teacher.

When old E told me that story today, I nearly cried, but all I could say to him was, "That's no good, hey".

I felt silly putting meagre words to his story, which I think is just absolutely shameful and criminal.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm always so proud of you when I read your blog. You're the best.

Popular posts from this blog

A conference, language policy and Aboriginal languages in Federal Parliament

The other day, I was priveleged in attending a TESOL symposium about 'Keeping Language Diversity Alive'. One of the speakers, Joseph Lo Bianco was excellent and discussed Language Policy. He gave a handout at one of his sessions that I'm going to type out in full here, because it was a real eye-opener. It's from the Official Hansard of the Federal Parliament from a debate that happened on 10/12/98. Here's how it went: Mr SNOWDON: My question is to the Prime Minister. Is the Prime Minister aware of the decision by the Northern Territory government to phase out bilingual education in Aboriginal schools? Is the Prime Minister also aware that his government funds bilingual education programs in Papua New Guinea and Vietnam? Prime Minister, given that article 26(3) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children, will you take a direct approach to the Norther

The pitiful state of Recommendation 11.6 of the NT Fracking (Pepper) Inquiry

Today the NT Government announced that it's ok to start fracking the Beetaloo Basin, claiming that all 135 recommendations from the 2018 Pepper Inquiry report have been met and, therefore, fracking can proceed.  Most of the recommendations - and you can go through them all here:  Action items | Hydraulic Fracturing in the Northern Territory  - are outside my field of expertise as a linguist. There's a lot of regulatory stuff, things about the mining industry, stuff about land and water management that others know much more about than me.  However, as a linguist working in the Katherine Region for 20 years, there is one recommendation that sits in my wheelhouse so, after today's announcement, I wanted to take a look at it. It's Recommendation 11.6, which says: That in collaboration with the Government, Land Councils and AAPA, an independent, third-party designs and implements an information program to ensure that reliable, accessible, trusted and accurate information ab

Subtle features of Aboriginal English that I love: agreeing or confirming by copying

Linguists aren't supposed to play favourites, but I love Aboriginal English. Maybe because it's what the love of my life speaks and separating language from people and society isn't a realistic prospect. I'm lucky to regularly be around Aboriginal people speaking English in all sorts of ways and privileged to have insights into some of the more subtle ways in which Aboriginal ways of using English differ from the suburban white English I grew up speaking.  I want to share some of these more subtle features. Not just because I am fond of them but also because they seem to be features that escape the attention of most academic discussions of Aboriginal English / Aboriginal ways of using English. I'm going to skip over the complexities of what Aboriginal English is (and isn't) and also if/why that label is worth using at all (a chapter I wrote on Aboriginal English(es) dips into some of that discussion - email me if you want a copy). For brevity's sake, let